What does it mean to be a member of TBS?
Membership is a relationship, a connection between you and the congregation, and among the different members of the congregation. Joining Temple Beth Sholom is an entry point into your evolving relationship with Judaism and with our Jewish community. Your participation represents an expression of your commitment to your own personal Jewish life and your willingness to share your hopes and vision for TBS.
Why should I be a member?
A member of TBS:
- Makes a commitment to the sustainability of Jewish life in Salem by supporting Temple Beth Sholom
- Becomes part of Salem’s Jewish community
- Enters a conscious Jewish community committed to mutual support, whether as part of a minyan or through informal friendships and associations
- Ensures the presence in our community of a rabbi with an inclusive view of Judaism
- Sustains the programs and physical location of the congregation
- Understands that being Jewish represents a commitment to learning, and to teaching — whether in a study group or a conversation in the social hall – and that being Jewish is participating in a developmental process
- Commits to Jewish continuity through supporting youth education and programming
- Provides for a Jewish voice in interfaith and community affairs
What are the benefits of membership?
In addition to the intangible benefits listed, a member:
- Is able to help set the direction of the community by participating in congregational governance through voting and board service
- Can send children to the religious school, hebrew school, and teen youth education programs, and participate in the B’nai Mitzvah program
- Will receive significant discounts on any TBS programs or events that have additional fees
- Will enjoy a 10% discount on all TBS gift shop purchases
How do I become a member?
You become a member simply by indicating your willingness to be counted as a member—by filling out a form and adhering to our values as a Jewish community. Additionally, a member is asked to contribute in a meaningful way to the community, both through a financial contribution and by participating in TBS activities.